Thursday, June 14, 2012

First Packet Due Soon

The due date for my first packet is drawing near and I'm busily trying to get the last-minute stuff done.  My novel has changed a lot since residency.  I don't recognize the structure anymore, though the scenes themselves are familiar, except for one. It still has issues that I need to work out--the new scene is throwing me for a loop. I'm not sure what bothers me about it.  However, I've spent most of my time on Shadowed and not nearly enough time on Entangled 

Entangled is Lurynne's book. It's a story that's been on the back burner for a while. I have several drafts of the book written out but have never been satisfied with what I wrote. Something has always been off. I'm not sure this draft--the one I'm trying to revise is going to work either. I may simply not be ready to write the book. It's not time for me to play with it.  But the book--both of Lurynne's books--dominate my mind. They want to be told. Being in the MFA program may be exactly what I need to get the story down in a satisfactory way.

What do I need to send in for my first packet? The following:
  • A 2-3 page cover letter discussing the enclosed material and asking questions about the material
  • 35-34 pages of fiction--excerpts from two novels
  • 2-3 short critical essays
  • cumulative bibliography in standard MLA format
  • cumulative list of titles of original creative work included in packets
Packets cannot exceed 50 pages length, total.

The cover letter is mostly done. I need to finish working on Entangled, otherwise the fiction pages are done.  I have one essay written.  I'm reading the book now so I can start writing the second one.  I still need to do the cumulative lists.But I think I have enough wiggle room to get everything done on time.

Thank you to everyone who's helped me by editing my pieces, sometimes multiple times.  I'll be working on packet 2 soon, which will be even harder to put together than this first one I'm sure. Let me know if you're interested in reading new edits.  For packet two I plan on them being part of a different section of both books.  So you'll get a break in that area.



No comments:

Post a Comment