Wednesday, June 20, 2012

A Writer's Retreat

As some of you know, I am a member of several writer's groups. One of the groups I'm involved in is the Romance Writers of America (RWA). I am an active member of the Coeur du Bois chapter. I've been a member for almost a year now and I have no regrets in joining the RWA chapter. I've gained a great number of writing resources, writing friends and learned a lot things about writing. Usually, the group  meets once a month to discuss various topics on writing, whether it's how to write dialogue, or build an author platform. However, this month their is no meeting.

From June 21-23, the Coeur du Bois chapter (CBC) is hosting a writing retreat for its members in McCall, Idaho.  The idea of the retreat is simple: escape the world, get away from the distractions that make writing hard, and write. The only thing keeping us from writing is other writers, which may or may not be a necessary part of the process, depending on where in your writing you are.

I have never been to a writer's retreat.  But I have heard of them in the past, and, since the retreats are an annual event, I've heard nothing but good things about the experiences from fellow CBC members. One person told me she got 25,000 words written during one of the retreats. Food is paid for by the CBC, though we are encouraged to bring food for ourselves or to share with other members if we like. I'm looking forward to it and, honestly, the trip couldn't have arrived at a better time.

My current homework packet is due on Wednesday.  As soon as I turn it in, I need to start working on the material for my second packet.  So I'll start working on my second packet at the retreat! It'll be the perfect place to get a great start on my editing and writing. 

I've also never been to McCall before. I've had family members and fellow writer's tell me it is beautiful.  On Google, I find pictures of a lake, woods, mountains, old-fashioned buildings.  It sounds ideal and I intend to take a camera with me to take a lot of pictures. Going off the map, it appears the cabin we'll be staying at will be relatively close to the lake. The cabin itself looks attractive and will no doubt help spur my imagination into overdrive. Hopefully I can keep up with my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment