Thursday, April 25, 2013

Preparations for School

Life is growing increasingly hectic as I prepare for my second semester of school.  Outside of  normal responsibilities, I have things I need to read, critique and watch.  I'm also trying to decide what to pack.

When I made this trip last year, I had the luxury of driving down. I say luxury, not because the cross-country trip was easy, though I've made the trip so often it's probably far easier on me than on someone who has never managed it before. I say luxury because cars have the advantage in some areas when it comes to travel. By taking a car, I don't have to limit my luggage.  As long as it fits in my car it can go, whether it's edible, leaky, necessary or dangerous. With airlines you either pay a small fortune or are severely limited to what you can take on the plane, and how heavy/large your bag can be. So it's a tossup on which is better the plane or the airline.  Both are uncomfortable, but you'll, usually arrive faster on a plane than by car.

So, I'm making and re-making packing lists, trying to prioritize what needs to go and what can stay.  The school stuff has top priority. I need to take the screenplays, books and the schedule with me, along with a handful of other things. Clothes are an obvious necessity, but how much do I take with me? With me staying at my mothers I can do laundry at her house without it costing me anything.  However, I don't want to be doing laundry every night. Do I take my manuscript, even though my focus is screenplays? Make up, which I rarely wear, but wore every day at residency? Then I need to consider my sister, who will be coming with me on the trip.  She's seven. This will be her first time on a plane. What do I need to make sure she has in her carry-on? Then I'm trying to get other things done.  Newsletter for the Coeur du Bois Romance Writer's Group, paying bills, working...looking up ideas on what Young Adult screenplays I should read for the semester...

As stressful as preparing for Residency is, I'll be glad when I finally get there.  Last year I learned a ton.  The information I received from lectures, workshops and critiques transformed my writing, making me stronger in some areas. My story has made a dramatic change because of what I learned last year.  This year, I expect, will be no different, especially when I look at lectures they've announced will be at residency. For me, the semester was fun, a retreat, a vacation of sorts despite the long hours and sometimes stressful, last minute assignments. Plus, things will be less stressful for me once I get into the swing of things and add homework to my regular schedule again.

Until then...well, I'm wondering if the queen of hearts is trying to chop off my head.  I hope not.  The way I'm going right now, I'd never find my head again.

No comments:

Post a Comment