Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Writer's Retreat in McCall, Idaho coming up.

A photo of where we'll be staying at.
 The picture was taken off of rental website. 
The Coeur du Bois chapter of Romance Writers of America is having their annual Writer's retreat this month.   Last year was my first year and I enjoyed it immensely. I learned a lot, got a lot of writing done and had fun.

We will be going to the same cabin in McCall we went to last year. As you can probably tell from the photo we are in a pretty remote location during retreat.  However several members last year went into town to enjoy the farmers market, the old-fashioned chocolate factory, the beach and so much more. The cabin came with a television, a dvd play and other electronic toys, but as far as I know they remained unused during our stay.  The one thing members probably wanted but didn't have was internet access.  However, the lack of internet access and power hours was what allowed one member to write 20,000 words during her internment. Instead of getting online to do research and suddenly losing four hours, you write a note to do research in an area and continue writing.

A photo of the living room.
 The picture was taken off of rental website. 
Power hours, for those who don't know, are especially helpful. They were offered several times throughout the day. Someone kept track of when the hour began and when it would end.  During that hour everyone participating focused solely on writing. No editing. No researching.  No plotting.  Just editing.  It's a great exercise and you really learn how much writing you can get done in a short amount of time, especially if you find someone to compete with--word count wise.

As nice and comfortable as the place is, there are things that I'll need to remember to bring with me this time around, beyond the necessities. I'd like to bring a small pillow to use as a cushion for when I'm going to sit at the table for extended periods of time.  A throw to hang over my shoulders for those days when my body seems to have a different temperature than everyone else in the cabin. Plus, I'll bring different snacks.  No one seemed to have even touched the homemade cookies I brought, but then, their was an overabundance of desserts there.  Alcohol was also readily available. Those who know me well would probably gape at the fact that I had a glass of some kind of alcohol every night.

As social and collaborative as the retreat can be, the cabin was usually pretty quiet, which allowed people to sleep in, nap or write until their fingers and pencils were stubs.  It's also highly productive and relaxing. Why wouldn't I be looking forward to retreat?

No comments:

Post a Comment