Monday, July 15, 2013

An update on my semester in screenwriting

When I signed up for a semester in screenwriting, I knew I was opening myself to new experiences, new lessons and new writing techniques.  I'd heard of the benefits of at least trying your hand at screenwriting, and this would be my chance at trying it with someone to guide me through my attempt.

I am currently working on packet two. Five are due by the end of the semester and I've come to a conclusion: Screenwriting is an experience every writer should try.

The formatting of the story isn't the only thing different about screenplays.  Screenplays tend to encompass very lean, very fast-paced, very to-the-point scenes. I thought I was doing well in writing those kind of scenes in my novel, but the more I play around with the screenplays the more I question my skills in those areas. Because I keep finding changes I need or should make for the screenplay because it isn't straight-forward, fast enough, or relevant enough to be in the movie. When I encounter these incidents, I wonder if I should make those changes a part of my novel.  Doing so would tighten my novel. But in some areas I'm not sure if the material I'd lose would be worth the tightening, characterization vs pacing kind of thing. However, I know in other areas tightening the scene would be the better move.

I probably wouldn't have noticed these options if I weren't turning it into a screenplay.

With the changes I'm playing around with I'll lose a lot of words and I imagine I'll gain ideas as I get further along in the story.  On the flip side of the token, I'm also getting ideas on how to continue the story so that this and the sequel become one work, one book. I'd need the smaller word count to add in the sequel. But since I haven't really written anything for the sequel yet, I'm not even sure how the sequel will work out yet. But I'm more than willing to find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment